Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Want to bi-amp 604-8K.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Want to bi-amp 604-8K.

    Hi there,

    For the cost of dinner for two you can buy a Behringer 2310 XO. So much control for so few $, it's hard to beat. It's what I am doing for my 604-8H's
    Nothing like a great big pair of speakers to make your day.
    [url]http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll111/calweldon/?start=all[/url]
    [url]www.calweldonconsulting.ca[/url]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member dooey263's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2005
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Want to bi-amp 604-8K.

    Thanks Guys for the advice so far.....

    AB.... I'll attempt to PM Donald Patten

    Ron.... I know splitting the "Simplified" crossover is quite "simple",he he, but I really want to split the stock dual attenuator Altec unit. I will build and use the woofer section of the "Simplified" if I must, but it would be a last resort.

    Cal... I've owned and used a number of electronic crossovers, but always seem to go back to the passive ones. I'm not sure if they add or subtract something, but I always get the impression they change the sound, and not always for the better. Could be just me and my prejudices though. This is my home vinyl rig, and purity and simplicity seem to = more natural sound.

    I'm including a pic of my shop rig in this post....Sorry to have to show it with it's JBL parts.I'll repent and try and be more Altec in the future! It is my experimenting setup....I built the 828 cabs with a lot of help from this board a few years ago, I don't think I ever posted a pic of it, so here it is.

    828 cabs..... Dual layer 3/4" mdf inner walls, 2"x2" hard maple stringers, 3/4" oak ply outer wall, solid 3/4" white oak trim, solid horn flares.Weigh in at about 400 lbs a piece.Virtually no resonances, The detail from the 515B's is amazing..... The rest...

    288B with 1005 Horns

    JBL 2405 slots phase aligned on aluminum brackets above the horns

    Jbl 2245H 18's... stereo sub cabs, Greg Timbers design.

    At this particular moment, (and it changes almost daily)

    845 triodes into Hiraga crossover for 288B-515B's

    845's also power the slots through JBL 8000 khz crossover with L pad

    Bryston 4B into Reckhorn crossovers for subs.

    This is about the simplest electronics I use, and also sounds the best... I have quad amplified at times. A bugger to set.

    Sorry for the mess, but its a working shop... I listen to this rig basically all day every day, needed something to compete with the db's from the power tools, and this setup wins every time!

    Cheers.... Scott

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Want to bi-amp 604-8K.

    Those are truly beautiful. Nice work!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.